Sunday, February 24, 2008

It Must Be The Shoes

So last night, I decide to play another play-money MTT. 27 people seems to be the magic number. 1 guy is always a dork, the other 26 seem to be there to sharpen their skills.

Like the night before, I play patiently, striking hard with the strong hands, laying off the risky plays. Don't get the strength of cards I had the night before. But by the time we're down to the final table, I have the chip lead and hold it, until we're at three.

Then I'm dealt 94 OS in the BB. Limp from the button, call by the SB. I get to see the flop for free with my POS cards.

Flop comes X-9-9. Score! SB bets out one bet. I min. raise. Button folds. SB re-raises. ???? Hidden pocket pair? I'm not putting any stock in the full house, or the other 9, at this point. What are the odds, three handed? I re-raise, testing. He calls.

Turn is a J. Now he goes all in. I have him covered, but there is a lot of money in the pot at this point. I call . . . turns out the fact that the odds are low doesn't actually matter when your opponent has the other 9 with a better kicker. I hope for a high card on the river, such that we would split, but the river brings something shitty, like a 7 or something. Mrs. Chako is now in third place!

Never fear. Next hand is pocket kings. I raise 4x from the SB. Big blind re-raises me. Presumably thinks I'm on tilt. Button calls. At this point, the blinds are so high and my M is so low, I figure all or nothing and I need to maximize my hand. I go all in. Call, call.

Flops is all low cards - but massive betting ensues between the other two, until BB is all in. Turns over AQ. Button has A-rag. I'm laughing . . . until the turn. A.

Two hands - leader to third place. WTF????

Must be that I forgot to wear the shoes.

Respectfully submitted

The Wife

No comments: