Monday, September 29, 2008
Tired. My stomach is a little touchy. My calves and thighs hurt. I think my left hand is a little sore from pumping. I can't get "Oh Canada" out of my head. And my lips are chapped.
And I seem to remember at least one person questioning my sexual preference. Or perhaps believing I had multiple preferences.
Hmmm . . .
Lets do that again!
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Advice please. I'm going to let Al know - somewhere, there is a miracle. I think. And maybe, after a drunken round of golf, I shouldn't expect my husband to drive to come pick me up anyway.
See, some of us have real jobs. That pay well, but expect you to be at work a certain number of days for that pay. Others of us feel into some fairy poop, somewhere along the way, and are paid even better, and granted so much time off, that they have to randomly take every other Friday off to pick lint out of their navels, just to try to use up the paid vacation.
DrChako will be arriving Thursday evening, allowing him to join whatever golf activities are planned. You might want to contact him about that, because knowing my husband, he probably hasn't given any of you official notice and just expects to show up, clubs in hand.
Fortunately, I've booked him a car and a hotel. At least for the nights I'll be staying. Gotta get home Sunday evening and back to work. After that, he's on his own. He's staying a few days extra, planning to visit family. But he actually hasn't coordinated that AT ALL. Wish him luck.
So I will be flying in Friday evening, around 7:30 p.m. My hubby is not quite certain he'll be off the golf course at that time and wanted to know how I was getting to the Friday night festivities. So this is my plea . . .
If my husband can't come pick me up from the airport in Philly, do I have any of my blogging brethren who would be willing to give me a ride? I'll be carrying precious cargo - Drizz's Packer headgear - and who doesn't want to see him in that?
Whoever signs up to be my back up plan gets an extra special hug . . .
Monday, September 22, 2008
Friday, September 19, 2008
Nice try on ordering from Overstock.com. If they've shipped your stuff, you're lucky . . . if not, we just hosed you. All $122.24. You could have aimed higher, at least. Or ordered from someplace your momma wouldn't want to see on the credit card bill.
Yeah, it will be a little inconvenient to be without the credit card for a few days until the new ones arrive. But I'm not paying for your shopping habit.
Too bad you picked the one family where we check the credit card statement on line . . . ALL THE TIME. And fortunately, DrChako is just one nosey guy who was hoping I'd bought him a gift. Can't fly under that radar.
Good luck with your credit card theft in the future . . . We'll be just fine. Annoyed. But just fine.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Friday, September 12, 2008
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
While we were at the licensing office, other test candidates showed up.
The rules for the test are simple:
- Show up a little early.
- Back your car into one of the 6 test spots.
- Wait for the examiner to come bark a few orders at you and make sure you're not driving a complete piece of crap.
- Drive off with the examiner.
Our au pair backed in and waited nervously. Not as nervously as the 17 year old kid three spots over, waiting with his mom. He actually went first.
While we waited, another woman showed up. Driving a small SUV. Tried to back into the spot. Well, it wasn't actually apparent that she was attempting to get anywhere close to the test spots until I saw the back end of her vehicle coming dangerously close to the van.
I'm not talking a little crooked. I'm talking like "take up two spots - at a 45 degree angle to straight" kind of bad parking. She either had no concept of spatial relations, did not understand the mechanics/physic/geometry involved in aligning the car in a spot, or had some other degenerative muscular disorder which prevented her from having any control over her hands.
I watched her. For 15 minutes. Trying to back into a spot. After about 27 tries, 15 minutes later, she finally managed to get her vehicle in a spot. That was one over from the test spots. Not actually IN the test spot. And still slightly crooked. All under the watchful eye of the examiner.
I started to wonder if there actually was such a thing as the equivalent of a citizen's arrest in the driver testing arena. 'Cause if there were, this is how the conversation would have gone:
Mrs. Chako: "Ma'am? Can I see your testing slip?"
Incompetent: "Yes, just a moment. I think it fell off the dash in my flurry of parking activity."
Mrs. Chako: "Yeah. I noticed. Ok, Fail."
Incompetent: "But I haven't started driving yet."
Mrs. Chako: "Exactly. That would still be . . . Fail."
Incompetent: "I'd like a second opinion."
Mrs. Chako: "Ok . . . . um . . . fail."
Mrs. Chako: "Yes. Fail. Did I not say 'fail'?"
Incompetent: "But . . . "
Mrs. Chako: "Fail. And don't park next to my van."
Scary thing is, if she fails, she's gonna keep practicing . . .
Now let me go make sure my liability insurance is updated.
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
It was a typical live-action fairy tale. Boy meets girl, circumstance keeps boy from girl, boy eventually gets girl. Pretty standard fare.
But I'm a sucker for the romantic. A sucker for "boy eventually gets girl". A sucker for that first kiss.
I wasn't disappointed. James McAvoy has that John Cusack-like quality. That little bit of scruffy helplessness. With pretty eyes.
After it all resolved, and the spell was broken, she finds him again. When he realizes it's her, and you see the realization in his eyes, I think my heart stopped.
And then it happened. I held my breath . . .
And he kissed her. The first kiss.
I was still holding my breath.
Monday, September 8, 2008
- First score is for the Vikings. 3-0 (Drizz). Of course, it was made by a former Packer.
- Immediately followed by a MONSTER pass by Rogers. Favre-like, if I do say so myself.
- End zone!!!! Talk about Favre-like - Rogers threaded a few needles with that spiral. Of course, the fact that the Vikings just had like 37 defensive offsides didn't help. We tried to determine if they kept going half the distance to the goal line inside that last 3 yards, would they eventually be on the paint? Oh well, credit to my boys for taking advantage of it . . . WOOT! 7-3 (ME!)
- Vikings can't do anything with their possession. Too bad. Still 7-3 (ME!)
- Rogers looks like a total farm boy. But he's got a decent arm. And he just ran it for the first down. Nice.
- 42 yard field goal. Not a TD, but a score. 10-3 (ME!)
- Vikings can't do anything with their possession. Seems like a recurring theme. Too bad. Still 10-3 (ME!)
- Field goal attempt, Packers. BLOCKED!!! Cheese curds! Wait . . . still 10-3 (ME!)
- Halftime - gotta do some work now! Back in 15.
- Can't believe they scored. But only a field goal. 10-6. Still me!
- Can't believe we had to punt. WTF? I think "inelligible downfield" calls are kind of stupid anyway - hey, if a guy can get downfield and the play changes . . . bonus, it seems. Robbed of the TD.
- Vikings can't do anything with their possession. Recurring them. Still 10-6.
- FREAKIN' AWESOME PUNT RETURN . . . . OMG!!!! My hands hurt from clapping. And amazing I still have my voice. Packers so totally rock. 17 - 6. (ME!!!!!!)
- Viking score . . . blah, blah, blah . . .
- OMG . . . another freakin' awesome run . . . 3 yards to goal . . . Aaron Rogers goes for it . . . TD!!!! And a Lambeau Leap! Good thing the fans caught him, though . . . it was not his best effort . . . 24-12!!!!!
- We pause for a moment - Drizz, any thoughts on what you'll be wearing? Only 5 minutes to go!
- Ruh, roh. Viking TD. Gotta protect now. Tried for an onside kick, but its Packer ball at the 39. Come on boys! 24 -19 (still me . . . ) . . . hold 'em.
- Turned over. Too much time on the clock, boys. Making me nervous. I HATE purple samba panties.
- INTERCEPTION!!!! Bad Vikings . . . Great timing, Harris. Even if you have hair that little girls might envy. Packer ball! 24-19 (still me . . . ).
- Two plays left on the clock. Take a knee baby! Take it again!
- DONE! Winna, winna, chicken dinna!
Drizz, I will arrive with appropriate attire for you to wear again. Keep this up and you'll have the best collection of Packer gear for when you eventually come over from the dark side.
The (winning) Wife
I guess it's probably like watching your ex-husband with his new wife. Even if you still like him, and like her, it's not like you want to see it right in front of your face. But you still ask your friends about how he looked. Which, according to the Dr., he looked pretty good.
But I loved my team before there was him.
Tonight, one of my favorite rivalries, made even more favorite because I now have someone to focus my rivalry on . . .
What say, Drizz? Another friendly bet? We can pay up at the Bash . . . you looked mighty fine in that Packer t-shirt last December.
I'm open for suggestions on what the loser ought to do/say/wear/pay . . . just have them in before kick-off at 4 p.m. EDT!
Oh, and remember Drizz is a little frazzled after his weekend . . . let's go easy on him.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Thursday, September 4, 2008
I didn't cry. But I realize it's the last time I'll take a child to school for the first time.
Monday, September 1, 2008
He and his family might need a refill on hugs.
I'm planning to give him a HUGE one in a month . . . but go give him an invisible one until I get there.
And don't worry - he's the kind of guy that will give it back to you when you need it too.
Share the love.