Friday, May 2, 2008

Letters to Women . . .

I don't know him well, but underneath that mop of hair that is sometimes too pretty for a man to possess, lies the mind of a poet. I have been very delinquent in blogging and reading, but I caught Joe Speaker's post from mid-week. Made me think of all those people who have passed through my life . . . those ones who I write imaginary letters to in my head that I never send.

Like he said . . . Some people, you don't want to lose. Sometimes, it's not your decision.

Here are a few of the letters I write in my head to the women I've known.
  • I - I didn't even know you when I started this journey, and now I can't even imagine not knowing you, even if law hadn't made us sisters. Even when I forget to tell you, I am so proud of you and your accomplishments. And for all the ways we are different, we are so the same . . . I miss you bunches!
  • J - Blood keeps us close, but love keeps us closer. I know I'll always have a space in your heart and you'll always be the big sister I never had. I couldn't be more proud to be a part of your family.
  • C - How did two people so inseparable end up in lives so different we can't even imagine? I wouldn't be who I am today without you. But I couldn't be who I am today, right now, if I had taken the same path you did. Hope you ended up in as good a place as I am. Maybe we shouldn't let high school reunions dictate how often we talk . . .
  • L - Though I don't see you much these days, you always manage to make me laugh when I do. Sure, you live a little in the past . . . even when the rest of us have moved on . . . I hope he's making you happy these days. And for the record, though you've never forgiven yourself, . . . trust me, you made the right choice. I'm sure your daughter had a better life than a scared young girl could have ever given her. I still think it was and act of courage and selflessness.
  • S - Circumstances kept us close for so long. I'm just sorry that her illness consumed you so much that you felt the need to turn all your energy inward to her. And I'm sorry that I wasn't strong enough to help keep those bonds of friendship alive. I should have reached out more. Maybe I still will someday. If you ever reach back, I'm here.
  • A - You were my best adult friend. We let time and distance and other relationships weather away everything we built. I'm far worse than you. At least you reach out. I let life and circumstance get in the way. It's my turn to reach out now . . . I know. I just hope your patience with me doesn't run out. Miss you.
  • B - You just never know where and when you'll find your next friend. Thanks for showing up at just the right time. For propping me up, and bringing me down a notch or two. And for getting me hooked on cute shoes. Thank you for helping me find my voice by listening to yours.
It's only a few of you . . . I still have many letters to write . . . and the men are next.

Joe, hope you're getting your letters done . . .


Respectfully submitted,


The Wife

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great...make me cry first thing in the morning. Dammit. Modern technology is a wonderful thing, but no matter how you slice it, being on the other side of the planet is difficult and most of the time feels as far away as it is. I miss you too, I love you most, and just can't wait to come home. I am a better woman because of you.