Let's start with my favorite. Every year, it seems like there is one little sparkling moment where I realize I've fallen into deep like with a special new blogger friend. This year it was Grange. The Dr. and I were hanging around with Katkin (one of my favorite new peoples from WPBT's ago) and Grange . . . I'd never met the guy, but he was well-known in the internet circles. He was pleasant and appropriately sarcastic, and a bit of a hunk, too. He's a midwest lawyer, but grew up a Nebraska farm boy, so he's got that tall, broad-shouldered frame that you can picture stacking hay in a mow, or throwing you down in the hay . . . (farm-boy fantasy break) . . . you get the picture. When CK's sweetheart bailed on her, we had an extra spot, and I suggested we invite Grange. My instincts were spot on - he is a great conversationalist, sarcastic and funny, and we had some really good serious conversations. Many good moments of the weekend involved him, either directly or peripherally. I'll save the "live straddle" moment for a favorite moments post, but a close second was the sweet goodbye kiss I got right before we hopped in a cab for the airport. I think my lips are still tingling a little.
Other favorite "new" people:
- Had a chance to chat with Lightning. After teasing the Dr. and I about Ferrari's and au pairs, we spent some time talking fiscal responsibility. He and I share a lot of the same philosophies about money - I swear if we were married, we'd be like two squirrels hoarding nuts.
- Met BrainMC. Played poker with him a few times, chatted a few times more. He teased me about playing tight . . . when they asked for my players card at the MGM, he laughed and said "Don't you mean your folder's card?" He's an easy going sort, and I kept having the urge to run my hand up the back of his nicely clipped head . . . love the way short hair feels. Seems like the kind of guy who would be great to hang out with.
- Met Dave Rosen (Sox Lover?). He was at my starting table in the tournament, and while I'm gonna call bullshit on him for the donkey 2-7 all in play (not against me) that won when his 2 of diamonds completed the 4-card flush on the board, but I had a great time with him Sunday at LaGasse's. He was so excited that a couple bets he'd placed had hit; I had a fantastic time helping him shop for jewelry for his wife. We were looking for something that said "Thanks for letting me go have fun in Vegas", but nothing that reached the "Please don't divorce me for what I did in Vegas" level. With my bargain shopping, I got him a beautiful set of earrings and a pendant that looked like it said "Thanks for letting me go have fun in Vegas" but only cost "Thanks for letting me go to the derivatives convention in Cleveland" dollars.
- Met 23Skiddoo on Thursday night (a night he may not wish to remember, much like the several buyins he left at the table). He was sweet to me, and we agreed that most bloggers marry up - can't wait to meet his wife. :) Although the tables were not so good to him, he was still full of hugs.
- Two "new" ladies faces to me (one new to the group, one an experienced WPBT'er) this time were Josie and Shelly. Josie is a sweet and bubbly sort and was a joy. Shelly was really down to earth and was fun to have at my $.50/$1 NL table, and our conversation on fashion and knuckle hair (two unrelated conversations, I should say) helped fill out the tapestry of the weekend.
- Met others briefly . . . Poker Grump and Numbono and . . . well, I'd need to go through the blog rolls of everyone to make sure I caught them all.
For those of you who have never done a WPBT, or do them infrequently, the next time you get the time and the money, make it a priority. Not only will you get to have some quality time (and irresponsibility) with some of your favorite old friends, but you meet a couple new ones every time!