Sunday, April 6, 2008

I May Not Be Astin . . .

But I know how to make some stuff.

I can cook a decent meal. More creative and talented than the average wife, if I may be so bold. But I work full time - don't do it that often.

There are certain things I make that people have fallen in love with. That I get asked to bring to parties. That if I host a party and don't make, people are disappointed.

My pancakes. Particularly when I drop chocolate chips in them. Homemade batter (none of the mix stuff).

Deviled eggs. I have the Kosher kind, and the not-so-Kosher kind (with bacon).

And my guacamole.

My husband called it out in his recap of the evening. Daddy asked him to share. So I'll post it here for all of bloggerdom to use.

It's not so much secret ingredients, as it is how you put it together. So here it is, party size.
  • 5 large avocados, ripe (should be firm with just a little bit of give when you squeeze it - not too squishy, not too hard)
  • 1 large roma tomato, diced into small bits
  • 1 or two slices of sweet onion (Vidalia, Mayan Sweet, etc.), diced into small bits
  • 1 medium sized jalapeno, seeded and chopped small (seeds may make it too spicy)
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • A small handful of cilantro, chopped fine
  • One lemon, or 1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Key is to get the avocados out of the skin, take out the pits, and chop (NOT MASH) the avocado into small bits. Squeeze on the lemon and/or lime juice (citrus keeps it from turning brown). Add tomato, onion, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Mix gently to keep from turning everything to mush (some of the avocados will form a bit of a paste). Taste; add salt, pepper, or another squeeze of lemon/lime juice, as desired. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes and serve with your favorite chips. Or large spoons to just eat it straight.

Or come on over to the Casa de Chako and I'll whip some up for you.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

7 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

why do I hate everything that is your specialty? lol. Pancakes are ok if they are made well. For some reason i never liked guacamole.. oh wait, I like deviled eggs! Woot! We called them boogy eggs as kids.

Kerri Miller said...

My sekrit pancake recipe calls for a squidge of lemon, lime, or orange juice into the batter, and using a portion of sugar as well..

bacon deviled eggs? I MUST make those!

RaisingCayne said...

Not that anyone would ever not immediately take the wife at her word, but just in case... I can confirm that her guacamole is freaking awesome! Loved it M! And thank you for the recipe here! (Albeit I can't foresee me ever preparing it. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not the domestic type.)

Thanks again for the invite this weekend. Had a great time Saturday!

BamBam said...

I *bow* in the general direction of Federal Way and send much thanks.

Although I personally can't stand Guac., my Pebbles is addicted and I do make a decent one.

But "decent" as everyone knows, is not good enough for my Peb's. I want only the best for her. So I'll be whipping up a batch of this for her this weekend.

Oh darn! I owe you ANOTHER hug!

;o)

Unknown said...

GUACAMOLE!

Nice.

I bring my grandmother Avacados occasionally cause she just likes to eat them.

OLE!

Daddy said...

Thanks.
Sounds tasty.

Hey Jo said...

I am also always asked to make the guac. Your recipe is very similar to mine. I add a couple diced, fresh tomatillos to it as well, give it a bit different taste.

The bacon in deviled eggs sounds delish! Will have to try that.