Monday, August 11, 2008

Thelma and Louise . . . Or Something Like It

So Betty and I started what may prove to be an epic road trip on Sunday. We figure its kind of like Thelma and Louise. Without the sex with Brad Pitt (well, maybe not . . . ). Or the driving off the cliff to our deaths.

She's never done one, and I've never done with as an adult with money. Ought to be interesting . . . here's how Day 1 shaped up:
  • 11:30 a.m. - The Prius is loaded and ready to go. We opted for trendy and eco-friendly. Unlike the 24 plastic bottles of water we are going through at an alarming rate.
  • Glad I just got a Crackberry . . . 2 hours into the trip and I'm already forgetting details. I'm using the memo feature to record important things. Like number of potty breaks. Day 1 was a total of 4.
  • 2:15 p.m. - First major accident on the highway (going the opposite direction, poor suckers). First road kill on our side of the highway. Sorry Bambi.
  • 3:00 p.m. - First potty break and first major altercation at the Chevron station in Truckee, California. Apparently the woman at the head of the line made a comment to the woman coming out of the restroom about cutting in line. The woman coming out shot back a "I was with my mother - you can kiss my ass!" We were pretty close to Donner pass. I think the Donner family ate people. I would have been more careful with my sassiness - never know when someone might take a bite out of you. Oh well . . . the two clerks find us attractive. I would be flattered, but the competition isn't too fierce 'round these part
  • 3:30 p.m. - Crossed the border into Nevada - "Boomtown" was our first city. Not as booming as the name might lead you to believe.
  • 3:53 p.m. - First epic series of billboards advertising "good lookin' wimmins to sit on your lap" [sic].
  • 5:50 p.m. - Arrive in Winnemucca, Nevada. Home of black fire opal, a large concentration of Basque people, the second largest number of Basque restaurants in the US (4), and other famous houses of ill-repute, as Betty has mentioned.
  • Got honked at and got catcalls on our walk to dinner. Yeah, we might just be the two hottest things this town has seen . . . well, at least since the little heifers they had at the cow separating and cutting exhibition they had last week . . .
  • Ended the evening at Las Margaritas drinking some fine house margaritas . . .
Here are a few other things Day 1 had to offer us . . .
We passed this on our way to Winnemucca . . . is your love being "locked" a good thing?
You know, I guess I thought he was dead . . . apparently I was mistaken . . .
Well, now that the Pussycat Ranch is closed for renovations . . . you still have some inexpensive rooming choices in which to conduct your business . . .
Just "OK" . . . Not spectacular or anything . . .
Not only do they have "superior" livestock . . . but they also apparently ran out of "5's" . . .
It had some whole big history . . . but all I could think was "BAL - Big Ass Log"
Who said nothing in life was free? The Winnemucca offers plenty of free things . . . your kids AND your pet are free . . . as well as the "CONT" . . .

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife









4 comments:

DrChako said...

Trust me when I tell you, "cont" is never free.

-The Husband

MHG said...

I can't believe you two didn't stay in BOOMTOWN!!! I rode by there a dozen times when I lived in Tahoe and really wondered who would choose to go there. The wood carvings are nice though!

BamBam said...

First off, The Doc is so right!
Secondly, have a great time. I'm sure you are.

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing at "they ran out of 5's." Jesus (lives), I need to get out more.

And by the way I have already pre-buttered the good Doctor about your next chick-trip...with me!!