Sunday, July 27, 2008

After life . . . afterlife?

On a lazy Sunday afternoon, my 10 year old son is pondering life, and the afterlife, with his 11 year old pal Josh and the rest of the family.

He says "I wonder what happens after we die. I mean, is that just it? Do we come back as angels? People? Do our spirits go in animals? Is there an afterlife?"

We try not to push to much theology on them . . . after all, our kids are starting to turn out as logical as the two of us, so cramming something down their throat is just going to lead to an interrogation later in life.

I piped up. "Well, I think there at least has to be some kind of recycling program . . . "

To which my 10 year old replied, "Well, hopefully not for everyone."

When I questioned him about it, assuming this was going to lead to a discussion about the relative merits of good guys and bad guys, he threw this one out there . . .

"Well, some people are like slinkies . . . not good for anything, really, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

I think I've become his straight man.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

3 comments:

Unknown said...

PURE GENIUS!

Keep me in mind when he starts his touring, love to see him when he hits the stage ;-)

IT

Betty Underground said...

Oh lord. "Slinky". Yep, I can already think of a few people that I will be referring to using that word.

Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Wow...that has zeyda written all over it. Course it could have you and DrChako written all over it too, but I wasn't raised by you so I gotta go with what I know...