Thursday, September 4, 2008

Coming of Age

Monumental week for us, really.

This little guy started kindergarten today. His new au pair and I walked him to his classroom today . . . he held a hand of each of us. He had his name pinned to his shirt, and his kindergarten teacher greeted him at the door. He told me he was too shy to talk to the kids, but after a kiss, a hug, and an obligatory photo with mom, he went.

I didn't cry. But I realize it's the last time I'll take a child to school for the first time.


*****

On another note, this guy also had a couple monumental firsts. He learned how to do a load of laundry today, when he realized he didn't have any jeans that he liked or that fit that were clean. He also discovered that a daily shower and a swipe of the deodorant was now a necessity, not just some far-off text book discussion of puberty.

I said "Welcome to stinking."
He stood in his bedroom, swiping his hands across his armpits, creating a breeze and said "Release my inner man-stink."

At least he has a sense of humor about it.

Remind me to keep mine when the rest of puberty (read, Victoria's secret catalogues and lotion) hits.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife




2 comments:

DrChako said...

We'd really better stock up...

-The Husband

BamBam said...

"Welcome to stinking."

LOVE IT !!!!!!