Sunday, June 22, 2008

Calling All Angels

DrChako and I have truly been blessed. We both are smart, resourceful, dedicated people with a pretty good work ethic. There is a part of me that says good things come to good people. And maybe, for us, that has held true. Not that we (read “I”) haven’t had doubts now and then. But maybe we have created some of the goodness that every so often feels like “luck”.

See, with all of the various things life has handed us, we spend a lot of time just rolling with the changes. I’m not talking about horrible things, like death, disease, or starvation. But both of us, from an early age, realized the only way to get where we thought we needed to go was to take a few leaps of faith and get out of the comfort zone. I left home at 18 to go to college . . . I haven’t been back since, except to visit. That meant living in dorms, living with families in exchange for childcare, living in “efficiency” (read “crappy”) apartments and working multiple jobs to save money and make ends meet. DrChako dropped out of college and enlisted in the Army, for crying out loud.

Collectively, since leaving home, we’ve lived in no less than 9 cities located in no less than 7 states and even called another country “home” for two years. We’ve borne two children in two different countries. Been paid in two different currencies. Purchased two houses; fifteen vehicles. Trust me - we have some experience in major life changes and decisions.

I write this on a plane bound for the east coast for a long business trip. It’s actually two business trips that happen to be in the same place, fortunately. But it will make for a long week that will drag into the weekend. I’ll be ready to hug the family when I get back.

But in this week, more changes will be rolling at us, and pretty quickly. My husband will find out if his first really big business venture is successful. And in this one, a couple other people are counting on him, too. If it is, he’ll have a new job in a week and a half. I’ll take on a new client – one that has been neglected for some time and may need a little hand holding to get everyone on board, including our team. I’ll also be setting up some things to help me strengthen my case for promotion next year – which will be time-consuming, labor-intensive, and will require an appropriate amount of well-placed ass-kissing, too, I am sure.

Not to mention what happens on the home front. Registering the littlest guy for kindergarten. Oldest one for sixth grade. Getting the au pair ready to move on to her new family in Florida. Starting the search for a replacement au pair (any takers?). Getting the fence fixed. Our foster dog returned to her mommy. Our downstairs flooring replaced.

It all works out in the end. Or at least that is one of DrChako’s favorite axioms. However, this time, the “all” seems to be pretty big.

I think we might need the help of a few guardian angels this time. Hope our “angel” credit is still good.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

7 comments:

Unknown said...

No credit needed.

We'll supply all the angels and friends you need.

Prayers, good thoughts and love sent to you and your hubby.

I know you BOTH can do it!

Sean

Anonymous said...

Out of curiousity, do I owe you any money for the new floor on behalf of your foster dog?

RaisingCayne said...

Ahhh man... I've been lookin' up to you guys, and now I see YOU with anxiety over life uncertainties! Geez, now how am I to think I can cope with my own?

I jest. I'm sure everything will work out great with all of your family's many happenings. Wish you all the best.


(Oh, and good luck with your search for a new au pair. ... Um, hypothetically, if you need help on the interview panel for the position I could help by providing an unbiased opinion on candidates' qualifications.)

DrChako said...

Great. We test for language skills and Cayne will test for firmness.

BamBam said...

Does it help at all......

That I have no doubt all will work out in the end? It's just how you two roll.

Maybe Peb's and I should split the Au Pair position?

;o)

CC said...

Let me know if you're interested in the CC Boarding Academy rather than the au pair. The kids may have to do a little work around the house, however...

Safe travels.

Unknown said...

Hoping you are still doing fine!

IT