Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Numbers Game

Son #2 plays a numbers game with me.

It starts with "I love you."

Then he says "I love you 40."

Then I say "I love you 100."

And then he says "I love you 200."

Then I say "I love you 300."

Then he says "I love you 80" (he's not an accountant and he's five - he's still working on large numbers).

I love our numbers game.

* * * * *

Only an accountant can mix love and numbers . . .

The Numbers Game

One thousand kisses
Your offer given, it touches my heart.
Wanting more, I say, “It’s just a start.”
Two thousand kisses
No hesitation, you concede to me.
Two thousand granted; and if I want three?
Three thousand kisses
Is three enough? I’ll just want more.
I push the limit; I whisper “Four . . .”
Four thousand kisses
Overwhelming, intoxicating, heady stuff.
My heart stutters; I push – “never enough”
Five thousand kisses
I test you: six, seven, eight, nine, ten . . .
Wishes granted, over and over again.

So I’ll wrap my arms ‘round your neck,
You put your hands on my hips,
I’ll begin a long, slow count
As you rain kisses on my lips.

My heart is yours, each kiss a claim;
You win, I win, the numbers game.

* * * * *

OK, now I have to go play the real numbers game . . . lunch is over.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

4 comments:

DrChako said...

I kept waiting to see who wrote the poem. Original? If so, wow. If not, still great stuff.

I love you a googolplex.

-The Husband

SirFWALGMan said...

I would love you 50.. seconds that is.. but the best 50 of your life.. if you were not happily married. heh. Nice poem! Cute kid stories! PLAY SOME POKER!

CC said...

Lovely; I needed that!

Unknown said...

When do you move on to general ledger terminology?

I heart numbers.