Saturday, November 14, 2009

Opposites are Hard

I was half listening. I was trying to finish a memo, respond to some last minute e-mails, and waiting for a call or text from the man, who's living the life of bachelorhood in Seattle this weekend. My 7 year old sprawled on the couch next to me as I typed.

"Opposites are hard," he proclaimed.

"Mmm-hmmm," I responded, typing.

"Yeah, like 'leaf'. 'Leaf' doesn't have an opposite." He rested his chin in his hand, pondering.

I looked up. "You're right, buddy. Like 'black and white' are easy opposites."

"Yeah!" he exclaimed. "Like night and day."

"Good example," I commented.

"Oh, and . . ." He paused, thinking hard. "You're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no, you're in then you're out, you're up then you're down, you're left than you're right [sic] it's black and it's white . . . "

I stopped and looked up. His face was very serious, waiting for my approval at his obvious score.

Should I tell him that Katy Perry called and wants her lyrics back?

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

No comments: