Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Girls . . .

Small moments have a way of reminding you about the important things. This weekend, amidst the relaxing, one or more glasses of wine, fending off the relentless attacks of unrealistic males, and mission-critical stops to DSW (it's kind of like shoe heaven), I was reminded of one of life's little necessities . . . girlfriends.

They come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes, they look and sound just like you. If you were half-Japanese with three kids and married to a restless entrepreneur, rather than being of decidedly European descent and married to a doctor.

Sometimes, they come in tiny, fiesty packages and are related to you by marriage.

Sometimes, they look like that high school cheerleader you couldn't stand - until you are locked in a van with them on a 5 hour road trip and by the end of the trip they like you enough to take care of you when you're hanging from a late-night bender with some Polish vodka - in Poland.

Sometimes, you meet them, and don't know they are going to be your girlfriend, until this magical web we weave brings you back around until you find yourself sipping Pinot Grigio on Santana Row in the San Jose afternoon sun with them.

Why, you ask, are they so important?
  • Girlfriends will tell you if your ass looks too big in that dress. They will also hold you while you cry, because your significant other told you your ass looked too big in that dress.
  • Girlfriends love to rehash the details of all your past loves, without getting jealous.
  • Girlfriends go with you to Vegas and ogle men with you, regardless of your relationship with their brother.
  • Girlfriends will tell you the cold, hard truth. Even when it makes you cry harder. Then they will hug you while your cry, because you hate the truth.
  • Girlfriends don't mind hearing your latest gripe . . . for the 20th time.
  • Girlfriends know that sometimes, just sitting around for 20 minutes in their bedroom with your parrafin-dipped hands in plastic bags on the floor is better than any session with a therapist.
  • Girlfriends have a way of sensing when life and conversation starts to get too overwhelming . . . and redirect your attention towards shoe shopping.
  • Girlfriends give you smart, sensible advice. Then, when you fail to heed it, they stand there with open arms to listen to your pain, disappointment, and general confusion. Without ever an "I told you so".
  • Girlfriends never forget to tell you how wicked hot you look.
  • Girlfriends never leave you in silence.

You all know who you are. This is my thank you.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That post made me cry. I know I am not in the middle of a war zone like my brother the good Doctor, but it's hard to be this far away in South Korea. Also known by me as a god-forsaken palace from hell. I hold it together most times. Mostly because I think if I start to cry I may never stop. I miss you and I miss our late night conversations. I only have 113 days left here and I am counting down every last one of them. I can't wait to see you again!

Betty Underground said...

True friendship is a two-way street. I thank YOU.

DrChako said...

First of all, I NEVER, in my entire life, told you (or anyone else for that matter) they have a big ass. Especially not you, 'cause you have an inky dinky butt.

Secondly, I think I know most of the girlfriends you are referring to. You've been quite removed from all of them for a while. It's awesome that you found someone you can click with (besides me).

Finally, if any of your readers actually check these comments, I want it posted for all to see...

BUY MORE SHOES, DAMMIT!

-The Husband

Betty Underground said...

When your HUSBAND tells you to shoe shop, you should totally listen!

Or maybe, he is telling ME to shoe shop! I can do that!

bayne_s said...

I think waffles is also always willing to share his opinion on your butt's appearance.