Monday, February 15, 2010

In the Blink of an Eye

I had just convinced my little guy to go brush his teeth. Just watched the coverage of the men's downhill, where I watched Bode Miller's first place run, whittled down to second, and then third, by just 2 hundredths, and 9 hundredths, of a second, respectively. Not that a bronze medal is anything to sniff at with the world's best amateur athletes. But .11 seconds separating 1st and 3rd. Only 2 seconds separating 2nd and 3rd. They say close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades - close in the Olympics takes on a whole new meaning.

I was drafting a quick email to a friend, and I said as much. I believe I even said "Yikes". Don't know that I could live with that kind of small margin of success or failure on a day to day basis.

About 15 minutes later, the NBC Olympic coverage had a segment on how close the men's downhill was: how only a few seconds separated you from the gold and the bronze, from medaling or not.

I laughed. That was so .11 seconds ago, NBC.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

Editor's note: Thanks, baby . . . forgot some decimals. All better!

2 comments:

DrChako said...

Or was is .11 seconds ago...

;-)

-The Husband

Bayne_S said...

Michael Phelps had 8 gold medals rather than 6 by a smaller margin but at least in swimming you can sort of see if you are ahead or behind.