Thursday, October 8, 2009

Smile and the World Smiles with You

So today, I was walking through the department on my way back from a meeting. I was all VP-like. Suit, heels, the model of professionalism.

Except for just a brief moment, I had a very unprofessional thought. What it is, is not important. Needless to say, it made me smirk. Which morphed into a smile that lingered. Then someone came around the corner and saw me smiling.

Their face lit up. They smiled. Said "Hi!" with that cheerful voice.

This just made me smile more. I mean, I was happy that I could spread a little sunshine. But thank goodness they couldn't read my mind. I said "Hi" and strode quickly by them, suppressing my smirk.

Only to run into another person. Who, noticing my smile, smiled brightly back at me. I nodded my head, suppressing a giggle.

I started to hum under my breath, to keep from giggling. But the next person I ran into saw me smiling and heard me humming, and grinned from ear to ear as they passed me.

I'm nearly ready to burst. Here I am running around having thoughts that are likely a violation of our standards of business conduct, and everyone thinks I'm just a friendly Little Mary Sunshine.

I made it back to my desk without completely decomposing. Tried to think of thinks like budgets and taxes and corporate restructuring. But somewhere in the office were a host of people had smiles to last the whole day. All because I let my mind wander.

Never trust an executive with a smile on her face.

Respectfully submitted,

The Wife

3 comments:

KenP said...

I bet you were smiling because you were thinking about those new shoes your blog brought you.

If you wore your cheese head around the office that would really get the smiles.

Not that being a cheese head is grounds for smiling much right now.

I used to have clients near Greenbay. They are Calvinists in nature except for football season where they turn into to profligate Baptists.

Unknown said...

ROFLMAO at Ken!

Sometimes the best things not said, are done with a smile!

Antenna Installation Bethlehem said...

Greaat blog post